FENTRESS COUNTYPUBLIC LIBRARY
In September of 1955 the Business and Professional Women of Jamestown started a lending library. There were 335 books donated by various citizens. Different members of the club alternated their services keeping the library open. The library was first located in the City Hall and later relocated in the book store trailer of Rev. W.F. Wright at the Mark Twain Spring Park. On October 1, 1957 the library on North Main Street opened to the public as a demonstration library thanks to federal funds through the Library Services Act. The library had a collection of 4,000 books. In April of 1959, the County Court assumed the financial responsibility of the library and in 1963 the County Court purchased a lot for the library on Norris Street. In April of 1964 funds were made available for library construction by the County Court, City of Jamestown, and federal funds. The library on Norris Street was dedicated and formally opened on Sunday April 17, 1966. In October of 1998 the new library on South Main Street opened thanks once again to the County Court and to the very generous donation from the Pinckley family. The current library houses 20,000 items.